Friday 21 November 2008

The Barristers

I think it best to reserve full judgement on this until the series is complete, but so far I'm not impressed. I am not convinced the fly on the wall doc will do the profession any favours. The chap in Birmingham , I thought, came across as too aware of the cameras to give a normal account of what goes on, and resembled to some extent a wanna be on Britain's Got Talent. I also thought the students came across as a bit dense, I mean how hard can anyone find a disposable bbq to master? My understanding is that the aim of this series is to help in the understanding of the Bar, and dispel beliefs that its a profession still stuck in the dark ages and full of fat cats making lots of money. I'm not entirely sure that this can ever be achieved with extended footage of an Inn of Court, complete with lots of banging of sticks, eating lavish dinners, standing up and toasting of the Queen and Domas. The write up on the telly page of this mornings Metro summarised tonight's programme as following students in their quest for a "training contract"! I think this in itself illustrates how the point may have been missed.
In all fairness those who took part in the programme were very brave to put themselves on the line, and be opened up for the likes of me to criticise. I know I would never have done it. I will be interested to see how things pan out in the remaining episodes, and who succeeds.
PB

3 comments:

Barmaid said...

oh, it wasn't so bad, I was expecting worse. Luckily the Birmingham barristers far outshone the students in the 'how to look an arse' competition.

Hope your pupillage is going well and you're not missing the gee gee's too much:-(

Android said...

I wouldn't have done it either!

Anonymous said...

Its all a bit too fake for me I'm afraid, and I end up shouting at the telly in the way I do at 'Casualty' and 'Holby City' wjem I have my nursing hat on; after all, who would believe that a bunch of people adhere to such traditions as do barristers!?!